Monday, January 23, 2012

meat all about it

happy cows are giving you the stink eye
I decided at the start of the year ( not a resolution as I never stick to those!) to make some healthy changes in my daily life.  One was to floss every day, and so far so good.  I bought those handy little flossing sticks and that helps.  I hated thinking that I was over using floss every time I would wind and wind floss string around my fingers and try to shove my hands in my mouth to reach my molars.  It's what always makes me throw my hands up at flossing.  These little sticks fit much better, and I don't feel like I'm wasting as much.  Well the extra plastic in the garbage issue is there, but we can't win it all I guess.

My second decision was to eat more ethically.  Not exactly vegetarian, but to just be more aware of where my food came from.  I ended up watching this life ruining changing documentary from P.e.t.a.  I know..I know, anything that is produced by them is going to be heavily biased and I promise that they didn't disappoint.  And while the video went for a lot of shock value there are some grains of truth.

By the year 2012 we should be more capable of moving away from the idea of "factory farms".  People gotta eat and animals are tasty, but there are ( or at least should be) better ways to treat them before they grace your dinner plate.  If you want some interesting reading on the topic look up the work being done by Temple Grandin.  Read up on Miss, Grandin too while you're at it, she's one pretty amazing lady!

So back to my ethical eating.  I haven't eaten any meat since the first of the year.  I did have chicken once or twice and some salmon, but I found myself apologizing before every bite ( don't worry it's already been documented that I'm crazy..)  I tried my first veggie burger recently, that was gross interesting.  I mean, it was okay, but I wasn't blown away.  I'll keep trying them until I find one I do like though.  I almost bought some veggie bacon, but the picture on the package made me think about the dog treats, Beggin' Strips.  I just couldn't do it.

So what are some of your favorite meatless dishes?  Oh, and I you feel like having your day ruined life changed Google the video Glass Walls.  Kudos to you if you can make it the whole eight minutes and not go throw out every single package of meat you might have in your home.

No comments:

Post a Comment