Friday, February 3, 2012

to cut or not to cut, that is the question

snip snip
So I've got some crazy long hair.  Not so long that you might mistake me for being associated with any particular religion, but it's pretty long.  I went an entire year with out cutting my hair, not for any particular reason other than financial.  I figured not cutting my hair was better than a cheap-o cut at the place beside where I get my groceries.  (Not hatin'..just sayin')

So my hair grew and grew and grew some more in a years time.  I love my hair, really I do, but some days I day dream of whacking it all off.  Which sends J into a panic because he really really loves the long locks.  While I love my long hair it certainly has some draw backs.

1.  It's heavy.
2.  As a mom 10 times out of 10 my hair is pulled back in a really cute boring pony tail.
3.  It gives me headaches.
4.  I get hair dryer elbow (that's probably an actual medical malady..but I'm not going to bother to Google and verify)
5.  J gets the dirty job of pulling my hair sheddings from the bath tub drain.  He gave this wad of cast off hair a nick name "Leezur".  ( I lose a lot of hair..it's pretty gross)

and so forth and so on...you get the picture.

I've been toying with the idea lately of chopping the locks for a worthy cause.  I've been working to get my hair back into a more healthy state after a years worth of neglect.  Right now my hair is relatively healthy.  My ends were a hot mess of split ends.  I never felt it was right to donate split end riddled hair to poor little cancer patients  The cancer is bad enough, without the added insult of my nappy hair for a wig.  Now I feel it's coming back around and I keep going back to giving back.

But I worry I'll mourn my long tresses.  Will the do good feelings I get of helping a little girl feel pretty in the face of such horrendous circumstances help me get over my own vanity..probably.  It's only hair after all....

No comments:

Post a Comment